Though this model of work from home has been already prevalent in some developed countries but this mechanism has been mostly applied only in case of emergency situations. With the advent of this pandemic, companies were forced to shut down their offices and resort to this method. However, the outcome of this method resorted to, under compulsion, has resulted in the evolution of a new outlook and in near future can become a game changer, as far as work culture is concerned. To their own surprise the organisations and the employees have started viewing this model as mutually beneficial.
- In these few months, companies have already seen a reduction in operational cost involved in running an office in form of reduction in electricity bill, transportation allowances to staff, tea-coffee expenses and office maintenance cost, if not something more to add on to the list.
- In case they chose to adopt this model permanently they can have a huge reduction in establishment cost, which is “office rental”. They can think about a smaller office space with few employees operating from the office and rest of the employees can work from home.
- Management is finding it beneficial as they are realising that the human resources can be utilised beyond the scheduled job timings, if required, as the employees are working from home. Some employees are proactively working beyond scheduled timeframe.
- This is an automatic mechanism of controlling office politics.
- Additional working hours put in, if any, are not affecting them as the mental satisfaction of being at home with the family is gaining importance over the work load factor.
- The zero investment of time and energy in transportation to office is becoming a big advantage for employees staying in congested cities. The time so saved can be utilised by them in some other activities, like the education of their kids etc.
- Employees are only required to ensure that the work is done on time. They are not required to concentrate too much in maintaining office decorum.